Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Classical Performance

I have just returned from the Alex Theater in Glendale where I attended a classical performance by The Glendale Youth Orchestra with guest artists, The Southern California Mormon Choir. They performed Mozart: Symphony No. 35 in D "Haffner" and Handel/Mozart: Favorite Choruses from "Messiah". I was amazed by the performance of the Youth Orchestra; I was literally in awe of the skills that these young men and women have worked diligently to master. What talent! What beauty they were able to create! And the choir--excellent! I am proud to say that my good friend, Liz Long, is a part of this choir. I have always felt that Liz has an amazing voice and I am happy to see that she is putting her talent to good use.
It may be well known amongst my good friends that Edvard Grieg is my all-time favorite composer (and some of his work shall be performed next month at the Disney Concert Hall--I'm not going to miss that!). I have often joked that if I could find a woman who can and will play Grieg I would instantly drop to a knee and propose marriage! But in all seriousness, while Grieg is my favorite, I have to give due respect to Mozart and Handel--they are excellent composers. I have heard Handel's "Messiah" before, but tonight was the first time I actually had chills run up and down my body--it occurred when the choir sang from Isaiah 9:6. It was both beautiful and powerful.
Thanks Liz for informing me of your performance; it had been a while since last I attended a classical performance, and it was exactly what I needed this evening. (I'm still awestruck by the Youth Orchestra--at that age I was still doodling on paper and merely day-dreaming of becoming the next great wide-receiver for the Seattle Seahawks; kudos to those young men and women whose talent and drive for success at that age far exceeds my own).

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so sad I couldnt go to that. I'm glad it was "chills" worthy-Yay for Liz L, great music and little artists!

Nicole said...

I'm so sad I missed this performance! Maybe next time *sigh* (and note to eligible girls...learn Grieg!)