Monday, July 6, 2009

Remains of the Day

Yesterday I had a couple of hours between church and a family dinner at my house so I decided to put on a movie and relax. I looked through my collection and decided on a film of which I had never before heard before I had purchased it but that looked interesting (it helped that it is a double feature dvd, the second film being Sense and Sensibility--one can never go wrong with a story by Jane Austen). So I put "Remains of the Day" into my dvd player and began an unheard of film. Wow!!! I was riveted by the film. It is a hauntingly beautiful and sad story. I imagine that the film moves much too slow for most of my friends to enjoy. Most guys would be bored by it as it contains a love story with no action or comedy, and most girls that I know would be frustrated by it as the love story proves tragic and perhaps distant from their own life experiences--but so as not to ruin the movie for anyone who wishes to watch it, redemption may take place at the end after the long drawn out tragedy. . . maybe. . .
Needless to say, the film contains superb acting by both Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson. Seriously, I've always liked Emma Thompson, but I believe that her acting in this film has just boosted her into the category of my favorite actress--she is nothing less than amazing! I don't believe that I have ever seen two actors who are able to capture such believable emotion (the kind that is deeply felt and steadfastly restrained) in their dialogue, facial expression, and body language. Even though the lives and circumstances of the characters are so far removed from my own, I could not help feeling for them. . .
Great acting and a great film. It is too bad that most of you will not appreciate such a film, but to the few of you out there (and I do have a few friends that I know would really appreciate this film) who love good stories and great acting, this is one that you must place on your list to see.

4 comments:

rachelsaysso said...

I love this movie. It's full of that good kind of heartbreak that makes you want to hug people and weep.

And since you liked the movie so much I'll recommend the book. It's so nuanced and understated that when any kind of emotion is shown you're floored by it. It is some of the best writing I've ever read. It's in my top 5 favorite books of all time. And that is really saying something.

Mary P said...

Man, I've been meaning to see that forever. I'll have to rent it sooner rather than later.

And I agree with you about Thompson and Hopkins, they are superb.

the freshmaker *ting said...

sounds good i will have to rent it or read it ... btw i am starting to notice a that all my english professors, teachers, majors(friends and sis.) all love emma thompson as an actress...i agree, i think she is amazing. i just find it an intersting fact/link. hmmm.

Merrie said...

Another fabulous movie co-staring Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson is Howards End, an adaptation of E.M. Forster's 1910 novel Howards End, a story of class relations in turn-of-the-20th-century England. Terrific acting and moves somewhat faster than Remains of the Day. Helena Bonham Carter and Vanessa Redgrave round out the cast. Check it out.