Monday, August 24, 2009

My Garden and A Community Garden Ready To Go!!!











My labors in my yard have had a mixed result. My garden continues to flourish as I am now beginning to have many of the plants produce. Unfortunately, the grass in my backyard has not been doing well. It was all dead when I moved in and I immediately began watering to bring it back. The result: it came back patchy and full of weeds. As a result, I have decided to start over. I have stopped watering, allowing the grass to die and I will tear it up and reseed. I think that it will be for the best in the long run. Expensive, yes, but in the end I think it will be worth it.
I have already spent several hours tearing up some of the lawn to extend/create a new garden. This can be seen in the photo with my garden towards the back and the dirt in rows at the forefront (last photo on this posting). This new section of the garden is designed for "community" use (or in other words, any friends who are interested may plant whatever they like--just let me know how many rows you would like, purchase your seed, and come on over and plant what you like). Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to use some of the land and we can work out the details (you may want to research Fall crops; all you need to do is plant, fertilize, and occasionally weed your section--give me the watering schedule you would like and I will take care of the day-to-day maintenance).
The photographs above are of the following:
Photo #1: Herb Garden (from left to right, back to front): Basil, Sage, Rosemary, Oregano, Dill, Parsley, Thyme, Chives, Mint.
Photo #2: Main Garden: Yellow Squash
Photo #3: Main Garden: Butternut Squash
Photo #4: Main Garden: Lima Bean
Photo #5: Main Garden: Tomato
Photo #6: Main Garden: Corn (and other plants in the background)
Photo #7: Perimeter: Grapes (Already planted before I moved in)
Photo #8: Main Garden: Pepper
Photo #9: Main Garden: Beets
Photo #10: Main Garden/Community Garden: The full main garden is seen in the background/the furrows of the unplanted, developed land that others (such as yourself, if you like) may use to have your own garden space).

*Items not photographed include the following:
--from the Main Garden: Radish, Carrot, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Basil, Dill, Chives, Lettuce, Spinach, Lavender, Watermelon.
--from Side Gardens: Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Tarragon, Basil, Squash, Cucumber.
--from Perimeter Fruit Trees: Lemon, Valencia Orange, Mandarin Orange, Avocado, Apple, Pear, Apricot, Peach.
--from New Garden: This garden is not photographed but is located in the north-east corner (the main garden is located on the western wall). I have just planted various crops in this location--will have to see what actually germinates.
--Potted: Flowers.

**Please let me know ASAP if you would like to use a portion of the community garden.

3 comments:

notthenotthenotthecatfoodthedogfood said...

Brett Hall!

Merrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Merrie said...

Wow, you have been busy! If you are up for a new challenge, try growing a rice field similar to the ones pictured in my post about Japanese Crop Art.